Saturday, July 8, 2017

The (Belated!) Weekly Update - Saturday, July 8th, 2017 - Adventures, Misadventures, And A Weekend Off!





Well, it all went pretty smoothly. The poor old van's starter died (at 332,000 miles for original part, I am not shocked by this) on Saturday - after we'd loaded all the tables, chairs, and lawn canopies, of course - and had to wait until yesterday to get replaced, we had to replace the minister (sudden call-in to work; he's a paramedic), the bride asked me to give her away, I was asked by the groom to take photos, an they finally told me when and where this was all going to take place. It was at the family home on Lake Owasso, originally owned by the bride's grandparents, and quite lovely.

(I did have to bring in some of the relatives from the pontoon boat, so we could have the ceremony. Nobody fell in the lake, although some of the younger kids did their best trying to.)

It did make for a very wild and wonderful holiday weekend - and no, it's next to impossible to rent a van on no notice on a holiday weekend at the start of a month as we found out - but we all coped, and got the job done. A very good time was had by all, and I actually had four of the five daughters in one place at the same time - the universe did not implode, as had been predicted. I wound up with lots of the left-overs, and have been gorging on cake for most of the week. (It's very good.)

This is Third Daughter, by the way, the one who applied for the job of Daughter when First and Second moved on with their lives, and the position became vacant. She applied, we went though the interview process, and only after she'd been brought onto the strength did she reveal that she was part of a 'package deal' with her two sisters, who both thought that being part of this particular job lot was A Good Thing.

We are, as we say, a family because we chose to be a family. Nothing more, nothing less.

We all had lots and lots of fun all trying to work out how we were / are all related to each other, and we really did need a whiteboard for the task. Everyone was hugely entertained by this, and we had the chance to meet and get to know each other - a whole lot of very cool people!

It was also a very nostalgic event; the Missus and I were married in our backyard twenty-seven years ago this month, using many of the same chairs and lawn equipment. Time does fly; it seems like I'd just put them all away... :)

On a slightly different note, this will most likely be the last event that I have to be the stage manager / stagehand / logistics manager for; I'm letting other folks do this now, and it's kind of nice not to have to haul chairs and tables up hills and through hallways. Time for a new generation to do the pick and carry - I'll still stock the gear, and build and fix as needed, but I'm retiring a bit.

This is the first weekend I've had off in months, and I'm taking it easy. Some model-building and figure painting is in order (along with mowing the lawn and doing the laundry) and I'm looking forward to some quiet time...

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the Bride and Groom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're very proud parents, hereabouts! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Chrine! Congratulations to the family.

    Defintely need to give you a call and catch up on things, been so busy working lately, I forget to reach out to friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind words - I'll pass them along.

    However...

    As I've mentioned elsewhere, your feud with Jon Pederson over 'who has the biggest pile of Blackmoor stuff?' may be great fun for you but I find it tiresome and pointless. It may be generating publicity for your documentary, but it is alienating people from what I've seen. You've certainly alienated me; I regret to have to say that, based on your recent posts on the ODD74 board and my recent (and very illuminating!) conversation with Mr. Arneson's daughter at the Annual Blackmoor Game, I would prefer that you not call, e-mail, write or otherwise attempt to contact me or anyone in my family now or in the future.

    I do wish you all the best with your project, and I would like to hope that you would be able to spend less time on Facebook and in forums and more time in the editing suite.

    ReplyDelete